I Won’t Hire People Who Use Poor Grammar. Here’s Why. – Kyle Wiens – Harvard Business Review

I Wont Hire People Who Use Poor Grammar. Heres Why. – Kyle Wiens – Harvard Business Review.

Kyle Wiens is CEO of iFixit, the largest online repair community, as well as founder of Dozuki, a software company dedicated to helping manufacturers publish documentation. In this article, he makes the following argument:

“I hire people who care about those details. Applicants who don’t think writing is important are likely to think lots of other (important) things also aren’t important. And I guarantee that even if other companies aren’t issuing grammar tests, they pay attention to sloppy mistakes on résumés.After all, sloppy is as sloppy does.

That’s why I grammar test people who walk in the door looking for a job. Grammar is my litmus test. All applicants say they’re detail-oriented; I just make my employees prove it.”

Consider using this article for an in-class discussion about job applications and/or the role of grammar as litmus-test for deciding what you have to offer as an employee.

This entry was posted in ENL 260, ENL 265, ENL 266 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.