Today’s Lesson: Life in the Classroom Before Cellphones – Commentary – The Chronicle of Higher Education

Although I had taught for more than 20 years, I didn’t realize that I had forgotten what it was like to teach in a classroom without cellphones until I came up with a plan to relive those halcyon days. It was near the end of the semester, and I offered one point of extra credit per class period for my psychology students who turned off their cellphones before class and put them on the front desk.

I was sure that no students would part with their phones for such a meager offering. Wrong: Virtually all my students did. They even said they loved the idea, so the next semester I offered all my classes the same deal for the entire semester, and participation continued unabated. In fact, much to my surprise, after the first few days, when I walked into my classes all the cellphones were already on the table in the front of the room.

via Today's Lesson: Life in the Classroom Before Cellphones – Commentary – The Chronicle of Higher Education.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.